Jul 29, 2009

Rappakal

This is one of those unpretentious comedies, to be savoured in the company of a few like minded friends. I believe that its makers intention was to cash in on the hysterical loyalty shown towards tearjerkers by a huge population of women in Kerala. But, it can give you a different kind of entertainment provided that you dont watch it alone or along with your family.

I remember the time when this movie was released in theatres and the instant hatred I felt towards it. It wasn't just that I hated all family dramas. All of Rappakal's promos featured a dhoti clad Mammootty doing household chores. I almost instantly dubbed it a 'Kitchen Movie' and continued to use that expression among my friends whenever our topic under discussion touched upon similar movies. Less did I know that I could enjoy this in a cynical way even when keeping all those factors which fuelled my ire intact.

One amazing fact about Rappakal is that it is shot almost entirely entirely within the premises of an age old villa, colloquially known as tharavadu. This alone should convey a great deal about the budget of the movie. Watch it in the company of your friends and laugh out loud at the over-the-top emotional scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment